3D modeling is defined as the procedure of creating a mathematical representation of a three-dimensional object using advanced software. 3D models are widely used in different industries, including architecture, product development, gaming, movies, etc. As it's said, an image speaks a thousand words. 3D architectural models are getting popular in the architectural sector and are a buzzing topic as it helps us in getting the perfect idea of any structure before the construction.
Importance of 3D modeling technology
- Accurate and realistic
- Increases the productivity
- Decreases the cost and rework
- Increases the chances of approval
- Elimination of field interferences
- Gives you in-depth knowledge about the project
- Best for marketing
- Easy corrections
- Accurate measurements
Architectural projects are usually reliant on the documentation by architects, designers etc. In this digital era, these plans and designs are prepared using CAD programs referred to as Computer-Aided Designs. Plans, drawings, elevations etc., can be showcased in the best possible way. These models prepared can be used for different marketing purposes also.
Advantages of using Architectural 3D models include
- Improved visualization
- The ability to check for errors
- The use of building or creation materials can be done perfectly
- Finished project cost lowered
- Walkthrough and Virtual tours of properties
- Marketing and promotional tools for the completed product
- The revisions are reduced to a large extent
Let’s have a look into major types of 3D modeling that helps you at different stages of your projects.
Building Information Modeling BIM
- BIM, also referred to as building information modeling, is a leading technology useful for management and construction purposes in architectural visualization.
- It allows the creation of intelligent models and counting the necessary amount of materials, the time needed for construction, and the project's entire cost.
- This technology helps design iterations to make more sustainable buildings and use every space smartly.
- This type is also helpful in the surface performance to ensure that your building complies with the regulations.
- Takes place in a cloud-based environment and is highly collaborative
- Construction teams can be in the loop with the developments happening.
- Complicated algorithms are vital in CAD designs and are used in the conversion of 2D pictures into 3D.
- Useful in constructing houses to skyscrapers
- Exact and most suitable for visualization of the exterior design of the structures.
- Also referred to as edge modeling.
- Creation of skeletal depiction of an abstract edge of the real world item
- The basic and the quickest way of creating 3D visuals
- Mostly uses cubes, spheres and other variations of these two shapes to bring the desired shapes.
- Known as primitive because it's the most rudimentary form
- It uses the basic Boolean processors and gets the outlines and shapes.
- Creating an editing model is possible just by introducing a set of parameters.
- Features and the relationships between the elements can be determined.
- Objects can be altered and created when adding new parameters, and that's the reason every change can affect the entire design.
- Parametric designing is the process where generating an architectural concept gets easier with a set of goals.
- Visually unique solutions can be produced exceptionally.
Point Cloud Modeling
- It’s a collection of numerous small data points which exists within three dimensions
- Helpful for deductive and inductive landscape design
- Get a world of data within your reach.
- It is an existing three-dimensional representation using 3D scanning.
- Helpful when you are working on some renovations or reconstruction
- Workflow gets smoother as the necessary information for design planning and documentation is gathered easily.
Direct CG Modeling
- Creating complex three-dimensional objects by manipulating different simpler shapes
- Adding, modifying or reducing will not impact the overall geometry.
- Great to use in rendering photorealistic images
- Make different changes quickly without sticking to any parameters.
Let’s understand more about the two major types of direct modeling.
- Creation of three-dimensional objects with more complex shapes using splines, the 2D elements including circles and lines.
- Helps in quickly building different types of 3D models with numerous curves.
- This is the most popular method of getting a 2D outline of the item.
- You cannot create UV maps to add realistic textures.
The most versatile way of creating 3D models. Building an object in this kind of modeling is possible by shaping a mesh made of polygons. The detailing level in this kind of modeling is based upon the polygon count, and as higher as it is, you get a more detailed model. Polygonal models are of two types:
- Takes hours to render
- Generally used for creating still photorealistic imagery
- Quick rendering is possible
- Less detailed
- Used in making three-dimensional assets
The only disadvantage of this polygonal modeling is that the edge of the polygons are always leading to straight lines, and due to this, it cannot be used for models with smooth curves. You will have to use smoothening tools to get a smooth look for curved surfaces.
These were the different types of 3D modeling useful for architectural projects. They all serve different purposes and help in getting better project results. Digitization has brought several developments, and including all these types and techniques will help you perform all the tasks more smoothly.
Are you in search of a three-dimensional modeling partner for your architectural requirements? The Pro3DStudio will help you get the best results with the latest tools and technologies. Our team of experts will provide high-quality architectural 3D modeling services for all your indoor and outdoor spaces.
We have a track record of assisting several global architects, interior designers and property dealers with high-class three-dimensional services. We are a reliable 3D design service provider offering you highly detailed 3D visualization services. We have experience working for a huge number of clients from diverse niches, and you can also trust us for your needs.Connect to know more