With an increasing demand for digitization in the CAD industry, the use of 3D modeling has become more significant. 3D CAD modeling allows engineers, designers, and architects to create accurate designs through visualization by transforming their ideas into reality. Designers can improve the efficiency and quality of their designs by implementing different 3D modeling techniques. To start with it, you need to keep certain things like symmetry quotient in mind for saving time and facilitating easy editing later.
This post deals with some of the 3D modeling tips and certain essential elements that need to be considered before embarking on modeling for optimum outcome.
The orientation of the model needs to be considered for reducing editing and conveying the intent of the product clearly. The best idea is to adopt an inbuilt 3D model orientation in maximum cases however, complications may arise while importing geometric shapes. You have to render a realistic model for communicating with the user on how to use it and facilitate easy assembling. However, constraints can be encountered while using the model for various purposes. You may mold, cast, mill and 3D print a particular model and Z axis remains on top in all such cases. In such scenarios, the front and top orientations would vary depending on the purposes. Autodesk Inventor and SolidWorks 3D layout sketch allow setting 'Y Axis Up' coordinates for models being imported. This is done by flipping orientation through import feature in which 'Source is Y Axis Up' needs to be checked. You can get model reoriented for ensuring Z axis up using popular software to ensure smooth processing usind different cad modeling techniques.
Single symmetry plane is common in models. Symmetry identification can prove advantageous in saving significant time during modeling. You can pull off modeling with just half of the expected efforts as model positioning w.r.t. origin and natural planes can be known beforehand. Centering of origin and using of default planes to mirror is a must. Sketching and dimensioning in complete size for layouts help in controlling and defining the specifications. Addition of numerous mirror options at the conclusion of the feature list for 3D isometric models and subsequent rolling back prior to use of mirror features, allows you to add more details. You can track the progress of a design after detail addition by forwarding or backward rolling of the features list. Symmetry allows a sophisticated design to be disintegrated into simpler ones.
A pattern symbolizes repetition of a given feature set. You can save remarkable quantum of time and inconvenience through pattern identification pretty early during designing. Pattern analysis can prove to be useful while editing the model's design. Any alteration in the default model would cause the pattern features to be replicated spontaneously. You can also make design modifications in the larger models within a matter of time using patterns.
Sophistication in the model
We can benefit from 3D modeling and simulation for creating targeted designs, making efficient trials, and taking data-driven decisions. Professional 3d modelers can add comprehensive details to the designs for enhancing their quality as well as allow clients to keep track of the actual production process. The advantage of hiring a renowned company offering 3d modeling services is that the designer takes care of all the issues for an accurate depiction of the delivered model. In the process, other important characteristics of the model pertaining to its center of gravity, weight, space occupied, and other attributes can be inserted accurately in the completed model. You need not have to add them later on.
You need to be careful when designing standard manufacturing models like motors, nuts, etc. Addition of complex levels in assembled models serve no useful purpose and can serve as a constraint for faster CAD rendering due to consumption of higher power of graphics cards. Simplified models with only needful geometry devoid of any unwanted relieve the graphics card of saving time on the creation of more triangles for accurate rendering in real time. If you are planning to design an assembly model with hundreds of nuts, bolts or such standard features in them, the graphics card would simply buckle down under the pressure of having to render each part independently. Consequently, your system may crash and all your efforts would go in vain. It is always wise to ask for stripped down versions of models downloaded from the website of others in the event of the models carrying an inordinate amount of unwanted or redundant details. If you decide to outsource 3D modeling to any of the renowned 3d modeling companies , you can rest assured as the modelers would have access to tools that can lighten the model.
Types Of 3D Modeling
Advanced software programs are used for creating virtual objects that can be represented in all three axes. This process is called 3D modeling which finds many useful applications. Some typical examples include:
- Building of engaging video or arcade games
- Creating animation movies
- Adding special effects to films
- Developing simulations for use in medical, fashion, automotive and other verticals
- Designing homes in 3D mode for architecturally analyzing the flaws
- Allowing potential buyers of real estate to go on virtual walkthrough of property
There are different types of 3D modeling which have been devised to meet special requirements.
You can build 3D shapes by using cubes and spheres or using the variants of these primitive shapes. The term primitive is used to highlight the fact that basic 3D model is being created. Shapes or outlines are made accurate using fundamental Boolean operations.
If the shape that you are planning to build in 3D is similar to polygon, you use polygonal modeling techniques.
- Choose the polygonal shape you want to create
- Build a wire mesh resembling the same
You need to have proper functional understanding of the theories of polygonal mesh for achieving good results. Scanline renders are created with this modeling type.
Rational B-Spline Modeling
This B-Spline modeling technique is also driven by polygonal meshes. Most commonly used, this method involves creation of polygonal shapes initially. Twisting and curving of the base shapes result in desired 3D form. Handling and mastering of this technique is easy. Hence, it is very popular among 3D modelers.
Prominent 3D Modeling Software
You would come across many 3d modeling software in the marketplace. Each has its pros and cons. You need to choose the one that optimally suits your skills and aptitude. Remember, that there is no single software in which you would find all 3D related solutions.
When you get down to select the best modeling program, you must factor in certain key points. These are discussed below.
- The purpose of using 3D modeling program
- The shapes that you would basically create
- The professional for which it would be used like architecture, real estate, fashion designing
- The user friendliness of software’s interface
- The complexity of the software and the tentative time needed to master the features
Basic functionalities you would majorly use
- The presence of 2D drafting functionality in the 3D software
- The ease with which 3D computer aided design (CAD) software allows creation of 2D image
- The ease with which outputs can be used for presentation or demonstration
- Compatibility of the output of the software with other popular 3d modeling programs
- Ability to export files in popular formats
- The investment needed to purchase software or opt for recurring license renewal mode
- The timeframe within which previous versions get outdated
You need to consider these factors along with others, do your self-research or read reviews, to make an informed decision.
Use of 3D Modeling in Industries
As 3D modeling techniques are getting diversified ad 3D software types are becoming more feature packed, the industry verticals in which 3D is used are also increasing. 3D models are used for various purposes.
Modelers in a 3D modeling studio adopt unique approaches that correspond to the specific demand of the 3D model in industry. Industries in which 3D is frequently used are training their managers about the complexities of 3D modeling. This helps them place orders for rendered images properly in alignment with their exact needs.
As demand for computer generated imagery (CGI) and 3D modeling is increasing, trained and experienced modelers are also landing rewarding career opportunities. Some of the major industry verticals in which it finds wide application are discussed below.
Three dimensional models are used for marketing products in online stores. 3D objects can be visualized and rendered with attractive backgrounds and atmospherics. These images are then showcased in product catalogs and other marketing content.
The rendered images are impeccable and flawless. A modeler needs to devote quality time to ensure that all aspects are taken care of for perfect result. With proper nuancing, you can showcase the subtleties of the product being promoted or conceal those features which can be distracting. Quality becomes top-notch and minor modifications in the rendered images can be done quickly.Some advantages include:
- One can showcase product in ideal setting which would fire the imagination of customers
- It becomes possible to render and showcase products which are still in conceptual stage
- Such products include new vehicles, new packages, prototypes etc.
- Cost of shooting and product packaging decreases significantly
- Changes need to be done in the model only for updating or deleting the render
- The mood of market and customer sentiments can be analyzed before starting production
- Capital wastage becomes lesser
In movies, particularly the sci-fi ones, you would find extensive use of 3D modeling. As movies become more spectacular and futuristic, hyper-realism is pulled off in them through intelligent use of 3D. Most popular TV programs and movies shot in Hollywood are full of scenes where three dimensional elements are used.Some common uses include:
- Building of special effects that dazzle the eyes
- Creation of artificial environment for conditions that are non-existent
- Showcasing of supernatural acts in a manner that they seem commonplace
- Using CGI for planting things in a scene or eliminating something unwanted
In gaming industry, 3D is extensively used. No game seems to be complete until some 3D element is present in it. Courses dedicated to training the modelers in creating elements for video gaming stress on intelligent usage of 3D.Some common uses include:
- Making video games more realistic
- Aliens in all imaginable forms can be created
- Unnatural speed or superb animation can be imparted to automobiles
- Props and characters of the game can be made to resemble real world objects
3D has taken the place of 2D blueprints. Earlier, drawings had to be made manually and significant time was invested for adding details to the plan. Also, the plan for building used to be flat which caused problem in visualization.
Now, three dimensional rendered plans of buildings are made using software. Some advantages include:
- Depth and motion can be added
- The plan can be visualized from all possible angles
- Birds-eye or perspective views can be incorporated
- 3D virtual walkthroughs can be built to allow buyers to explore the building’s interiors
- Flaws in building can be identified well ahead of the start of actual construction
3D modeling is increasingly being used by textbook publishers and illustrated or interactive eBook developers. Some pictures which cannot be published for the fear of violating copyrights can be recreated in three dimensional and then rendered in 2D for publishing.
Inaccessible images can also be rendered. Publishers can also include enhanced images which demonstrate the use or visualization of an object in a setting that doesn’t exist. One can also render and showcase futuristic and historic pictures.
Scientists are learning more about the tectonic plates of earth and their behavior with simulated models of landforms. The effects of stress resulting from collision of plates are visualized and analyzed by geologists. These is helping in accurately determining the reasons and probable time of earthquakes. Various natural patterns are simulated for understanding factors impacting them.
Virtual and Augmented Reality
These three dimensional models which can fit with the requirements of virtual and augmented reality (VR and AR) are used progressively for redefining marketing touchpoints. This is a tough task as such models must not have any blind spot and should be flexible enough.
You can consider polygonal modeling as an option but refining is needed to a large extent. Subdivision surface modeling or NURBS modeling can prove useful in this context. One needs to subdivide every polygon in smaller surfaces. The three dimensional objects, thus, become smoother, pliable and realistic. They complement the needs of AR and VR developers perfectly.
You may not use 3D sculpting as sculpted models consume lots of disc space and higher processing speed is needed. Hence, such models are not suitable for adding interactivity.
Function of A 3D Modeler
A 3D modeler is an artist who builds characters and scenes which are three-dimensional. Such objects are usually inspired by concept art. These objects are used in
- Video games
- Three-dimensional movies and sci-fi motion pictures
- Films for scoring realistic fantasy scenes
- Website images
- E-commerce site’s product models
- Graphic designing
- Realistic Simulations
- Special effects
- Movies as characters and props
- Surrealistic scenes in television shows
- Designs for broadcasting
- Location driven entertainment shows
- Geological modeling
- Architectural or real estate designs
- Scientific analyses
- Engineering drawings
- Healthcare modelling Etc.
For becoming a proficient modeler, you need to first identify the domain in which your interest and aptitude lie. If you want to become a 3D render artist for movies, you need to complete a course in movie designing from 3d perspective.
You can choose from a number of career options. Such options are centered around following specializations:
- Development of computer and video games
- Motion picture special effects
- Computer Graphics Imagery
- Development of software for computer graphics functionalities
- Computer Science
- Visualization of data for analytical purposes
- Designing in digital mode
- Illustration in digital mode
- Arts for media and movies
- Concept art for gaming
- Programming for games
- Graphic Designing
- Creation of Interactive Media
- Development of Captivating Visual Effects
The 3d modeler job opportunities are many. The market prospects are good. However, a lot of specialization is needed in this field. Almost every industry vertical is employing the modelers. In 2019 itself, the demand for 3D modelers and consequent remunerations has grown by about 14% in various industry domains. This has been revealed by a research study. Even illustrators who are drawing for three dimensional art development have experienced 9% growth in career opportunities in 2019. Researchers are also hiring the modelers to get support in their analyses.
The Way Forward
3D modeling domain is an ever expanding one. The applications of 3D modeling are diversifying and as such lucrative career opportunities for skilled artists are on the rise. You can carve out a position for yourself in this growing industry by enhancing your skill set.Before embarking on any future CAD project, make sure to invest time in getting your models planned in advance to save time, energy, money and efforts. The elegant and agile outcomes would simply delight you and your customers.
Difference between 3D Modeling and 3D Rendering
3D modeling and 3D rendering are different stages in the same workflow. Here are the differences:
- 3D modeling is the fundamental step in the 3D design process whereas 3D rendering relies on 3D modeling data that gets processed further.
- The 3D rendering process allows 3D models to be customized for diverse purposes through the addition of new backgrounds, characters, lifestyle objects, motives, color varieties, and videos.
- 3D modeling facilitates better project preparation while 3D rendering promotes design improvement.
- 3D modeling allows designers to know if interventions exist between structures while 3D rendering aids in better presentation and creation of display graphics that supports marketing activities.
- 3D modeling allows for a graphical demonstration of a new project whereas 3D rendering allows businesses to demonstrate thoughts and ideas in multiple ways.
- 3D modeling allows designers to get clarity about an overall design whereas 3D rendering facilitates an analysis of a design from all perspectives.
- Businesses involved in manufacturing gadgets, software programs, engineering, and medicines mostly use 3D models for presentations whereas 3D rendering promotes 3D visualization of every point of an object.
- 3D modeling and 3D rendering are performed through different sets of software. Major programs used for 3D modeling include 3D Splash, Libre CAD, Sculpt GL, Photoshop CC, abd Tinker CAD. Some of the widely used 3D rendering software includes 3 Delight, Autodesk 3DS Max, Arnold, Clarisse, etc.
7 Important 3D Modeling Tips for Beginners
Beginners may struggle to deliver quality 3D models at the initial stages. We have listed top 7 tips that would help beginner 3D models to master their skills, create quality 3D models, and build a strong project portfolio.
- Master the Use of 3D Modeling Software: Every 3D artist has his/her choice of 3D modeling software. So you should identify the program that you would be most comfortable working with. This would make your learning faster and would help you to execute projects more efficiently.
- Refrain from Rushing: You should not take hasty steps while designing 3D models. Instead, you should take time to sharpen your skills and learn using new techniques.
- Check Out Tutorials: Several 3D modeling tutorials showcasing how you can use particular software can help you master tricks and tricks, which, in turn, would help you to create quality 3D models faster.
- Begin with a Simpler Approach: You can start with simple shapes such as pyramid, square, and cube, which would help you to learn more efficiently. This would help you to build on your skills and to adopt your own unique approach.
- Become Aware of the Build Area of Your Printer: When you know your printer’s build area, you can create models of proper size so that they match the size of your printer. This would help you to cut a big model into several pieces and then get them smoothly assembled without worrying about ugly seamlines.
- Use support, Whenever Required: If your models feature parts that are inclined at 45 degree angle, you may want to use support to prevent these parts from falling apart after being printed.
- Create Printable Models: You should save your files in printable formats such as OBJ and STL, which would allow you to get them printed using 3D printing technologies. When can rectify errors in the files to ensure that there are no obstacles during the 3D printing process.
Free 3D Model Website (Blog Update)
Pricing: Paid and Free Models
It is an online spot where one can find 46k of downloadable high-quality 3D designs. The 3D artists also sell their professional designs on this website. One of the notable features is that they have quality determiners for the designs. They have to pass quality tests in order to be eligible for display. If you need quality models, then it is the right place to visit.
The professionals display their latest rendering works. Some even provide free access to their 3D files too. There are free 3D models for VR, visualization, animation, 3D printing, and engineering. The site caters to the needs of professional engineers with a variety of models.
Pricing: Free and Paid Models
Here, one can find millions of free 3D models available in formats such as OBJ, C4D, MAX, 3DS. It is a reliable platform to buy and sell 3D designs. They also provide scripts and plug-ins for modeling projects. If the search is for the best 3D designer, one can hire a professional from design job boards. It is the best place to download models for 3D printing, VR, and AR applications.
As the name suggests, it is an impressive repository provided by NASA. They have 300+ 3D models for rockets, satellites, periscopes, telescopes and much more. Space lovers find this site beneficial for 3D printing and archives.
They have more than 50k 3D designs and models categorized on their website. Makerbot runs this source whereby one can get access to free 3D models for 3D printing. Many genuine makers upload their free models for printing in different categories. If one cannot find anything for 3D printing here, it is impossible to find it elsewhere.
Pricing: Free and Paid Models
Cults is another famous free model repository where one can get the best model for 3D printing. It is a site that has high-quality and original creations and no design repetition. Many users report that the models are well-curated and easy to search as well.
This repository provides unique models of kitchen appliances, office equipment, clothing, vehicles, and furnishing. It helps animators and graphic designers to create impressive and realistic 3D models.
It is a Poland-based VFX company that offers several models, blueprints and scripts. One can find free high-quality renders and objects from their high-profile website. When you need realistic renders for furniture and architecture, go for Evermotion.
Pricing: Free and Paid Models
It is a cloud-based site that provides 100k 3D models for rendering, animation, and modeling. Besides, it has a repository of free models that can be directly downloaded from the browser. The model formats supported by the website are OBJ, Three.JS, Babylon.JS, and STL.
MyMiniFactory is another repository that consists of 45k+ models that are uploaded by its large community for 3D printing. It offers several printable models that find it grassroots in the video game fraternity. The site poses several challenges to its subscribed designers.
Before embarking on any future CAD project, make sure to invest time in getting your models planned in advance to save time, energy, money and efforts. The elegant and agile outcomes would simply delight you and your customers.